[Cerowrt-devel] exfat

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Aug 30 21:45:39 EDT 2019

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 17:56:22 -0700, you said:
> I'd like to give valdis - a long time member of this list - some
> applause for tackling the exfat issue.
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/797963/
>
> Thx man! One set of patents down, millions to go, and more interop for all!

The *easy* part was the 3,000 lines of changes (and counting) needed to get the
Samsung exfat code into shape for even drivers/staging.  But it wouldn't have
happened if some people at the Linux Foundation hadn't talked to some people at
Microsoft - and I owe all of them a beverage, because although I'm pretty
decent with C, I totally suck at the sort of discussions needed for the
Microsoft announcement.

(Seriously, if Ted T'so hadn't noticed that the Microsoft patent grant covered
a lot of stuff but not exfat, and people started talking, none of this would
have happened. :)