[Cerowrt-devel] [Cake] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-06 is in last call

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Feb 4 02:11:39 EST 2019

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019, Dave Taht wrote:

> Well, (I just checked, let me know if you want the captures) comcast
> still re-marks all codepoints it does not recognize, to become CS1,
> including this one. So the smartest thing a comcast customer can do is
> wash it out on entrance to their domain.

If I didn't think we ever could change things, I wouldn't support
documents like these.

The idea is to go to the ISP community and say "Please treat LE as BE in
your core/peering links, and only act on it on the customer access shaper
(optional). Please don't bleach it."

000001 has never been in use before, so the hope is that people will allow
this to happen. CS1 has had different meanings over time so it's harder to
handle.

The problem with CAKE/FQ and background traffic is that it can't tell if
there is congestion or not, and things like LEDBAT can't backoff and try
to avoid causing congestion. So your previous email about allowing some
congestion to take place on LE would be good as then protocols that try to
avoid causing congestion would have a way to do so.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se