[Cerowrt-devel] Will transport innovation collapse the Internet?

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Sat Mar 23 14:11:33 EDT 2019

Dave -

I tend to agree with Christian's thesis, despite the flaws in his "history".

HTTP/3 does NOT specify a congestion control algorithm, and in fact seems to encourage experimentation with wacky concepts.  That's a terrible approach to standardization.

Roskind is not my kind of a hero.  As Bob Dylan said, "to live outside the law you must be honest". But Roskind's approach has not been honest, and the race to deploy *at huge scale* that Google pursues has not been backed up by any serious experimentation to understand its effects. In fact, that approach, non-scientific in the extreme, has become typical of Google's PR-driven and deceptive actions. (See the extremely flawed claims about its "AI" flu-prediction experiment being "better than any public health department" and its flacking of a Jeff Dean Nature publication that was reframed by Google PR and Jeff himself as *proving that upon admission to a hospital, a patient's life or death outcome was predicted far more accurately than was done by a control group of doctorsI*.  NEITHER of those are valid interpretations of the actual experimental results. The Flu test has never been reproduced since, suggesting it was (un?)intentionally cherry-picked to show off)

Now whether Roskind is typical of Google's Aim, Fire, Ready approach to science and engineering or not, it seems you are calling him a "hero" because of that cowboy approach.

Even though I find the IETF of today full of non-science and corrupt influence, the idea that Roskind is "better" than that, I can't stomach the idea that QUIC or HTTP/3 are "good" merely because they are different and the product of a renegade.