[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] fq_codel is SEVEN years old today...

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat May 18 07:36:02 EDT 2019

The future seemed so bright after free.fr deployed it so fast. And so
far as I can tell, fq_codelis ubiquitous across all of linux and linux
containers and vms, and we've headed off major trouble at the wifi
pass with the OSX and QCA (ath9k, ath10k) implementations. 10s of
millions deployed - but where it's most needed, it's not, and ISPs
mostly ship it not.

So while I do take heart in the enormous deployment and figure we'll
turn the corner in the next year or seven on these other devices, I
was grumpily looking over:

http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2014/doc/slides/137.pdf

again today, and wishing we had some way of addressing the structural
problems we have with academic and industry research in general.

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 1:34 AM David P. Reed <dpreed at deepplum.com> wrote:

> Ideally, it would need to be self-configuring, though... I.e., something
> like the IQRouter auto-measuring of the upstream bandwidth to tune the
> shaper.
>

> Sure, seems like this is easy to code because there are exactly two ports to measure, they can even be labeled physically "up" and "down" to indicate their function.
>

> For reference, the GL.iNet routers are tiny and nicely packaged, and run
> OpenWrt; they do have one with Gbit ports[0], priced around $70. I very
> much doubt it can actually push a gigabit, though, but I haven't had a
> chance to test it. However, losing the WiFi, and getting a slightly
> beefier SoC in there will probably be doable without the price going
> over $100, no?
>

> I assume the WiFi silicon is probably the most costly piece of intellectual property in the system. So yeah. Maybe with the right parts being available, one could aim at $50 or less, without sales channel markup. (Raspberry Pi ARM64 boards don't have GigE, and I think that might be because the GigE interfaces are a bit pricey. However, the ARM64 SoC's available are typically Celeron-class multicore systems. I don't know why there aren't more ARM64 systems on a chip with dual GigE, but I suspect searching for them would turn up some).
>
> -Toke
>
> [0] https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar750s/

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com