[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] (no subject)

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Sat May 18 18:36:46 EDT 2019

Pardon, but cwnd should NEVER be larger than the number of forwarding hops between source and destination.
Kleinrock and students recently proved that the optimum cwnd for both throughput and minimized latency is achieved when there is one packet or less in each outbound queue from source to destination (including cross traffic - meaning other flows sharing the same outbound queue.

Now the idea that cwnd should be in the 1000's of packets is totally absurd, unless the source or destination buffers (at the end hosts) are counted, and that would be needed if the TCP source and destination application might, for example, be "swapped out" and thus unable to actually send and acknowledge packets at the instant of receiving an ACK.

If cwnd is sort of compensating for "swapping out" the TCP endpoint processes so that they take milliseconds to provide or acknowledge receipt of a packet, then that's fine (if you want throughput and terrible latency), but that's not the congestion window. That's just cramming the operating system's scheduling delay into the TCP stack.

TCP is not supposed to be designed around slow OS process schedulers. Those buffers should never be allowed to build up in the transport network, where they kill latency for everyone. That's just terrible design, conflating OS scheduling with congestion management.