[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] Ubiquiti Launches a Speed Test Network

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Sep 6 18:56:13 EDT 2019

Hi Toke,

> On Sep 7, 2019, at 00:50, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
> Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Hi Toke,

>>> irtt could definitely do this; not sure if it does. Ping and Netperf,
>>> probably not...
>>
>> From man ping (on linux):
>> -p pattern
>>              You may specify up to 16 ``pad'' bytes to fill out the packet you send.  This is useful for diagnosing data-depen‐
>>              dent problems in a network.  For example, -p ff will cause the sent packet to be filled with all ones.
>>
>> From man ping (macosx 10.14):
>> -p pattern
>>             You may specify up to 16 ``pad'' bytes to fill out the packet you send.  This is useful for diagnosing
>>             data-dependent problems in a network.  For example, ``-p ff'' will cause the sent packet to be filled
>>             with all ones.
>
> Yeah, but you can't read back the output...

	Yes, unfortunatley.

>> With fping I come up empty
>>
>> From man netperf (not sure how this wirks for servers):
>> -F fill_file
>>              Pre-fill the send buffers with data from the named file. This is intended to provide a means for  avoid-
>>              ing buffers that are filled with data which is trivially easy to compress. A good choice for a file that
>>              should be present on any system is this manpage - netperf.man.  Other files may be provided as  part  of
>>              the distribution.:
>> (so this would require us to distribute/generate 63 files for each dscp?)
>
> We're already using -F /dev/urandom to prevent the netperf data from
> being compressible... And also, this cannot be read back

	Well, we could do 8 bytes DSCP in ASCII followed by ~1498Bytes randomness, but really which uploads actually use compression?

>> From irtt help client:
>> --fill=fill    fill payload with given data (default none)
>>               none: leave payload as all zeroes
>>               rand: use random bytes from Go's math.rand
>>               pattern:XX: use repeating pattern of hex (default 69727474)
>> --fill-one     fill only once and repeat for all packets
>> --sfill=fill   request server fill (default not specified)
>>               see options for --fill
>>               server must support and allow this fill with --allow-fills
>
> As above, we're doing --fill=rand today.

	Sama as above, but maybe Pete could be convinced to do the read back of the first X bytes automatically.

>> This might actually work, and if it required a packetdump to compare
>> DSCP and intended DSCP that would already be much better than what we
>> have today, no?
>
> Well, I'm sorta skeptical that anyone would actually look at those
> packet dumps ;)

Oh, I promise I will do this, occasionally ;)

Best Regards
	Sebastian