[Cerowrt-devel] real time text

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Thu Apr 16 12:16:35 EDT 2020

It does seem awfully complicated compared to how I would imagine the functionality could be implemented if you just did it on top of UDP. One of the costs of using UDP is that one needs to support protocol-specific end-to-end congestion control as well as protocol-specific datagram-loss handling.

To me a far simpler idea would be to start with "UDP congestion control" that didn't assume UDP datagrams arrived in-order and at-most-once, using observed drops and ECN marks, or end-to-end delay (by timestamping packets).

Then use on that logic a sort of erasure coding (allowing reconstruction of packets containing backspace/delete) that allows out-of-order delivery as information becomes known. Erasure coding (like Digital Fountain codes) are more efficient than retransmission of duplicates of packets - if there are N packets queued in the network, you'd need some kind of SACK-like scheme, but SACK doesn't work very well when the buffering is a backup in the network, rather than in the receive endpoint's OS queueing. Digital Fountains or its successors work great! (and I think the patent expired finally).

Up to this point, encryption hasn't been mentioned. But there are encryption schemes that work very well for UDP - emulating a "one-time pad" based on a random start value fed back into a good cipher. Ideally it would be inserted under the erasure code layer. What you need to know to decrypt a block to feed into the erasure-code decoder is just a sequence number for the transmitted block, so you can index into the OTP.

Very simple.

But doing this on top of WebRTC (not a bad protocol, just a complicated platform) etc. seems to introduce problems that need to be patched around.