[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] tp-link request for SQM

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Dec 3 05:40:30 EST 2021

> On Dec 3, 2021, at 11:10, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:
>
> --On Thursday, December 02, 2021 10:48 AM -0800 Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> tp-link, is, so far as I know, the last major home router vendor NOT
>> shipping a SQM system. Perhaps this could be modded up with someones
>> with accounts?
>>
>> https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/511156
>
> I just signed up an account and will add my vote.
>
> I just bought an Archer 20 to replace my old 2016 Zyxel running OpenWrt. I'd found it by looking at various reviews of "best OpenWrt router for 2021". I just updated my Zyxel firmware from v18 to v20 firmware. I get about 280 Mbps from Xfinity. I turned on cake and it dropped by 50%! So I think the old router's CPU isn't up to it. I'll be swapping in the TP-Link soon so I can turn on cake without the big performance hit.

	Getting low latency traffic shaping to work in a robust and reliable way above say ~100Mbps is still a challenge even for relatively recent router SoCs. Modern multicore SoCs upped the ante in the things-to-look-out for area by adding CPU power-saving (especially frequency scaling) and load distribution over CPUs to the mix... Now even something like a raspberry pi 4B with an additional well-selected USB3 gigabit ethernet dongle (costing less than 100 EUR all in all) will allow cake up to 1/1 Gbps but still requires careful configuration to do so. No idea whether an archer 20 will do (not even sure what model that is, here in Germany I see either an C20 or an AX20 but no plain unadorned 20). If you should try OpenWrt on that thing, the OpenWrt forum is a good place to ask for configuration advice for specific models (will obviously not help if you stick to the manufacturer's firmware).

Regards
	Sebastian