[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] tp-link request for SQM

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Dec 3 09:35:44 EST 2021

Hi Dave,

> On Dec 3, 2021, at 15:18, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 4:00 AM Luca Muscariello <muscariello at ieee.org> wrote:
>>
>> Test using a tp-link AP EAP 245
>>
>> https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=bbcc5ef5-e677-4f27-aa04-1849db81d0f5
>
> Nice.
>
> A kvetch is that I really wish they also tested up and down at the same time.
>
> Another kvetch is I think the test needs to run longer at these speeds.
>
> Another another kvetch is they factor in baseline latency to determine
> if the link is suitable for gaming or not.

	Which is the sane thing to do... IMHO. For any "twitch"-type reation-time gated gaming all players need to be in an acceptable range of "RTTs" to and from the server so that all perceive the world similarly and nobody has an unfair advantage/disadvantage, so absolute RTT does seem to matter. I would agree that jitter is nastier in that is will cause "randomish" variations of the RTT, but then the known solution against jitter is additional buffering (large enough to simply even out the unequal jittered packet arrival times) which in turn just increases the "RTT", no? (I guess no game really does this enough, so jitter stays the constant problem for internet game-play).