[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] tp-link request for SQM

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Dec 3 07:43:46 EST 2021

--On Friday, December 03, 2021 12:12 PM +0000 "Wheelock, Ian"
<ian.wheelock at commscope.com> wrote:

> 280Mbps service with Comcast is likely the 300/10 package offering… In
> that case the US is limited to 10Mbps
>
> I understand there might be some issue if 280Mbps was being processed –
> but in the US direction, we are not talking >>100Mbps – its about
> 10Mbps US, I would have thought running cake on 10Mbps US cake would not
> have triggered a 50% loss in performance even on this platform. Now if
> cake is applied to both inbound and outbound traffic then having to deal
> with ~280Mbps might be tough. In the case of DOCSIS AQM, PIE runs in the
> GW only on outbound traffic.

That's indeed the package. I was seeing 270-280 down and 12 up.

"Good" tests without cake:
<https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=22cc9c3e-d3bd-4893-8b68-aba088e199e1>
<https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=90bfc919-0ccc-47d6-88e6-dee10a4f1b16>

It got slammed down to 49 here:
<https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=a670b084-0e90-434b-aedb-e82b7ea7f7ab>

I disabled cake and it slowly recovered:
<https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=eb5e874a-b5a4-436a-bb9b-b3a90ae14930>
<https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=6afcc17b-8d6a-47ee-9a78-ad5b65b74205>

(I wish the tests had a timestamp so I could be sure I'm ordering them
correctly.)