[Cerowrt-devel] my thx to spacex (and kerbal space program) forcheering me up all year

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Fri Jan 1 18:31:12 EST 2021

It has bufferbloat?

Why am I not surprised?

I can share that one stack hasn't had it from the start, by design. That is one implemented for trading at 10+ GB/sec, implemented in Verilog, and now apparently in production use at one of the largest NY trading intermediaries.

Why? Simply two reasons:

1. People who design parallel hardware systems are trained to focus on closing timing constraints. Which means never using FIFOs that are longer than absolute minimum. The designer is a VLSI designer by trade, not a networking guy.

2. Trading is all about managing delay. In this case, 100 msec packet delay is worst allowable case end to end.

Yet it is full TCP in hardware.

Can't share more, because I don't know more, it being all proprietary to the bank in question.

Now, one wonders: why can't Starlink get it right first time?

It's not like bufferbloat is hard on a single bent pipe hop, which is all Starlink does today.