[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] Bechtolschiem

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Fri Jul 2 12:59:24 EDT 2021

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021 09:42:24 -0700
Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Debunking Bechtolsheim credibly would get a lot of attention to the
> bufferbloat cause, I suspect." - dpreed
>
> "Why Big Data Needs Big Buffer Switches" -
> http://www.arista.com/assets/data/pdf/Whitepapers/BigDataBigBuffers-WP.pdf

Also, a lot depends on the TCP congestion control algorithm being used.
They are using NewReno which only researchers use in real life.

Even TCP Cubic has gone through several revisions. In my experience, the
NS-2 models don't correlate well to real world behavior.

In real world tests, TCP Cubic will consume any buffer it sees at a
congested link. Maybe that is what they mean by capture effect.

There is also a weird oscillation effect with multiple streams, where one
flow will take the buffer, then see a packet loss and back off, the
other flow will take over the buffer until it sees loss.