[Cerowrt-devel] the future is in high speed symmetrical internet speeds!!!!

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Jul 5 17:21:21 EDT 2021

Hi Dave,

Well, less asymmetric down/up ratios are certainly worth fighting for (for one NTP should work better). And, as I might add, something that is orthogonal to better router software ;) a fast symmetric link with a craptastic router is still roughly as much fun as a dial-up connection with the best router software we can wish for... ;)
Regarding that EFF article, while I think that light over fiber is "the obvious way forward", I fear that the strategy of asking for 100/100 under the assumption, it can only be reliably achieved by fiber roll out, ignores the full duplex technologies that are either ready for deployment (full duplex g.fast) or a much cheaper plant upgrade away than rolling our new fiber (full duplex docsis comes to mind, which might require changes to the physical plant layout with nested/hierarchical amplifiers*). I note that local docsis ISPs in Germany are aiming for 100 Mbps upload in the next 12-24 months (simply by switching more upload spectrum to docsis 3.1 coding schemes). In short 100/100 might not be the "only with fiber" speed grade the authors seem to think, and if the goal is full fiber than it seems best to actually require full fiber.

Best Regards
	Sebastian

*) Or not might be possible to run full duplex over some level of hierarchical amplifiers...