[Cerowrt-devel] smart queue management conflict

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Mar 22 21:41:46 EDT 2021

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 20:50:50 -0400, "David P. Reed" said:
> Let's say I have a sensor on my dog's collar, or on a fork lift in a
> warehouse? Do these researchers honestly think that each sensor will make a
> *phone call* over the LTE fabric and continue that phone call for all the time
> the device is powered on? Is the cost going to be proportional to the delivered
> bit-rate? In "message units" for each 3 minutes of call time?

You turn on almost any media, and get to see ads for Ring doorbells and other
IoT things that don't report to a smart-home-hub on the local home network, but
to someplace where corporate interests can monetize the data. So yes, the
researchers honestly think that's a sustainable model.

I'm still trying to figure out how the <expletive> you monetize data from a
Roomba, unless they're looking at the coverage patterns and using them to
figure out how big your residence is and how much furniture you have, and using
that to estimate income and/or need for new/more furniture...