[Cerowrt-devel] wireguard almost takes a bullet

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Wed Mar 31 13:22:34 EDT 2021

> contributions" are #1 on the "Top 20 committers list".
>
> > The contrast with other open source communities is quite sharp
> > now. There is little eleemosynary intent that can be detected any
> > more. I think that is too bad, but things change.
>
> If you look at the members of the Git, Perl and Python communitiesn, I
> believe you'll find that most of the major contributors do work for
> companies that pay for at least part of their open source
> contributions.  Given that most people do enjoy having food with their
> meals, if a OSS project is successful, this really shouldn't be a
> surprise.
>
> It is true that there is a huge long tail of OSS projects which have
> not been successful, and which only exist as abandonware on
> SourceForge or GitHub.  (Or in the case of OpenOffice, as part of the
> Apache Consortium :-P)  But just as the vast majorities of startups end
> up emploding with less than 1% becoming the IPO unicorns, I'm not so
> sure it's anything more than sour graps for people to claim that the
> startups which made it big were never "real startups" to begin with,
> and that the story of startups is all a Big Lie.

I get the impression that there are some folks that have a deep seated
bias on how they believe the Linux kernel works and therefore are unable
to change their point of view even when presented with data.

Kind of reminds me of the people I run into the FOSS community
who still believe Microsoft is forever going to be evil.
Scott Hassellman calls those people "You killed my pappy"