[Cerowrt-devel] android, sqm-autorate and lte and videoconferencing

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 11:43:15 EDT 2022

For the past several days,  I have been very successfully using
variants of the cake-autorate code to manage my connections on the
boat, for which I use a tether to my laptop.

https://github.com/lynxthecat/CAKE-autorate

Although this test claims my link was inadequate for a good videoconference

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=964831e5-30f9-4695-bfbd-b58da0a759f3

they have all been perfect (and that test was conducted during an
actual zoom conference). The code does not grab as much bandwidth as
it could, when available, but I'll settle for perfect
videoconferencing.

Anyway... what I used to do was attach the phone to a router shared
boat-wide that did this stuff, but it would be nice to move the
algorithm directly into an android. My hope is that more modern
androids are running a recent enough kernel(?) to have cake, but it's
been a long time since I built anything for android, and am wondering
if there is a lte/5g tablet or phone or dedicated lte router "out
there" that can be hacked on?

--
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC