[Cerowrt-devel] usb3 gigabit adapters

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu Apr 21 02:59:00 EDT 2022

Hi Matt.

Over on the OpenWrt forum there are a lot of reports of tp-link's ue300 using an RTL8153 chip working robustly and reliably with speeds up to the expected limit for gigabit ethernet. Reports for Asix model(s) indicate some driver inefficiencies that make it impossible ot reach the expected 940-950 Mbps TCP/IPv4 goodput.

As far as I can tell none of the USB ethernet dongles support BQL... (this is why the OpenWrt on raspberry pi 4B crowd generally uses the USB dongle as the WAN interface and uses a traffic shaper there to keep latency under load in check, while the on-board ethernet adapter is used without saer as the LAN interface, typically connected to a switch).

Regards
	Sebastian