[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt (linux 3.10) vs openwrt 21.02.2

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 09:37:09 EST 2022

I am testing what I think might be the last cerowrt box in the world
at esr's place.

# cerowrt, on FIOS, with sqm configured for 24/24 mbit up/down, over
unencrypted wifi

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=a6e6d9a7-051f-4168-8149-8ebe44026ce8
https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=415a03d5-2788-4589-a3cf-282d63a2fc2f

Bufferbloat scores of A or A+ on those above.

# openwrt, same FIOS connection, admittedly this time going through
the cerowrt box ALSO,
with cake configured for 20/20 on a wndr3700 with wpa2

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=7f3c7a5a-467b-4c01-91cd-fd88e14d460e
https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=cc77ad98-afca-4240-8597-5c7301980cb3

Much worse bufferbloat scores.

# Disabling cake entirely on the openwrt router

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=f144e0c0-ba7d-4905-8c1e-8349e4491cf6

Was not much help. Really puzzled as to why the down was so much
slower. Cerowrt of course doesn't bridge wifi interfaces as openwrt
does,

Same distance from the AP in both cases. Anyway, I plan to "upgrade"
this last cerowrt box on the planet today, hopefully it's the double
nat,
or some other variable leading to such a difference between code from
2014 and today

--
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC