[Cerowrt-devel] QDISC_DROP_REASON project

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 16:34:54 EDT 2022

There were, at last count, 2600+ places where packets could be dropped
in the linux kernel, and that doesn't account for just dropping
packets at the physical layer and (I don't think) on the rx ring.
DROP_REASON support has been migrating into the kernel, but not yet
for qdiscs, and were it there, it would provide a convenient
tracepoint for why it happened, be it congestive, overflow, or self
defense.

You can pull apart the packets and see where they were going or where
they came from, and so on.

And it's kind of bad to be dropping packets for any other reason,
elsewhere in the system.

Similarly I am seeing a LOT of ecn marking in the field that I am not
sure is correct or not, and there's not a good way to track that
presently.

I had a student lined up for this, but she dropped out. I'd much
rather teach someone how to do this pretty basic job inside the kernel
than do it myself, so if you know anyone with even modest kernel
skills willing to take it on with me, I'd appreciate it.

- https://github.com/rchac/LibreQoS/issues/143