[Cerowrt-devel] two fpga ethernet libraries

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Wed Aug 14 18:16:41 EDT 2024

Thanks! Very cool that these guys are publishing designs.
I worry they might get sued, though - so much of this stuff is patented requiring licenses to use the techniques.
They don't call digital circuit designs "IP" for nothing. We are so much better off in the software world, where we have relatively few "software patents", and use copyright on code.
The biggest difference between copyright and patent IP is that if you don't "copy" code, you never need to worry. With patents, you can conceive of and implement something, then get sued for infringement.
Both are problematic, but patents can be the devil's spawn.