[Cerowrt-users] engaging developers and users [#314]

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 03:30:05 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Maxim Kharlamov <mcs at podsolnuh.biz> wrote:
> Hello Dave,
>
> I'm running cerowrt on day-to-day basis on my wndr3800 for quite a while and
> it works like a charm. It is rc7-smoketest10 build. Managed to configure
> everything I needed apart from dyndns client which is not a big issue
> anyway.

I should probably point people at that build as a 'stable' release, with two
known bugs (notably having to manually create the radios). We were
very close with that smoketest!

(but shortly afterwards the build, the kernel, the driver, bind, ntp, and ahcp
 all broke simultaneously, as did I. There was a ton of churn upstream,
 that is only now settling down)

So in the future, I need to come up with a good point to do a code freeze
in the release cycle. This is of course, in conflict with the idea of closely
tracking the kernel and openwrt development process,

> So far wndr3800+cerowrt is the best performer out of many routers I tried. I
> tested wndr3800 stock, linksys e3000 and e4200 with stock and tomatousb,
> pfsense 2.0 appliance, cradlepoint mbr1400 and some others. Speedtest on
> wndr3800+cerowrt is constantly at or almost at the top of the list and
> during the speed test ping times are not deteriorating as badly as for the
> other routers. Feature-wise cerowrt is also the best (for my particular
> setup), so currently it is my main router at home even though initially I
> bought it for playing and testing.

Excellent! Thank you.

Preliminary testing indicated that andrews/felix's fixes for bugs 216 and 195
got us to where openwrt was outperforming the factory firmware in most
respects...

... but I immediately turned around and started sacrificing that raw transfer
performance for lower latency. (reduced tx rings, txqueues)

I'd like to think that that, also, improved performance by a few metrics, but
I don't plan on resuming serious testing on various benchmarks until
after this coming development cycle is well underway.

In that effort thus far I've enabled a ton of debugging code to be able
to look more closely at the effects on cpu of various AQM technologies,
and what I have working at the moment just barely boots.

> I've just received another wndr3800 and going to install openwrt on it to
> compare them side-by-side and to have a playground for routers.

The core difference here at this point between cerowrt and openwrt is the vastly
reduced tx rings and txqueues - you can add these into openwrt easily by editing
/etc/init.d/boot to run ethtool at the right time,  and adding
/etc/hotplug.d/iface/00-debloat to openwrt.

I note I plan serious improvements to the basic debloat script there
adding some intelligence to it - in the upcoming development cycle.

> Overall, excellent job, Dave! I'm keeping my eye on cerowrt.

Thx again. Sometimes all I can see are the outstanding problems,
rather than the good stuff.