[Cerowrt-users] QOS settings vs speedboost and random bandwidth

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Sun Nov 25 18:20:34 EST 2012

I'm setting up QOS as explained in the FAQ
http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/FAQ

Not surprisingly
speednest.net gives me 33Mbit/7.65Mbit while dslreports.com/speedtest gives
me a meager 16.2Mbit/2.5Mbit (for a line that's supposed to be 22Mbit/5Mbit).

I understand the queuing and that if I put too high a number, I'll fill
queues and end up with bad latency.

At the same time, am I correct that if I put numbers that are lower than
what I can really get when the line doesn't suck, I'll cap myself to those
numbers (here 16.2Mbit instead of 22Mbit or so)?

Is it also possible for linux/cerowrt to dynmically detect the queuing/delay
in my cable modem and dynamically adjust the QOS values to limit buffering
on the comcast side without throttling me down to lower than what the line
can do at any given time?

I'm also a bit concerned of what happens when comcasts ups my bandwidth
without telling me (they do that sometimes) and me never finding out if I
have a static QOS value in cerowrt.

Can others advise?

Thanks,
Marc