[Cerowrt-users] [Cerowrt-devel] QOS settings vs speedboost and random bandwidth

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Mon Nov 26 10:35:04 EST 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca>wrote:

>     Dave> to move the fq_codel algorithm into the cable modem, OR to have
> the
>     Dave> cable modem exert flow control like ADSL modems do. Then have the
>     Dave> smarter device (the router) then do smarter queuing.
>
> I was unaware that DSL models were doing this... is this with GbE
> ethernet level XON/XOFF?   Should I assume that any DSL model with less
> than a GbE sync doesn't/can't have it?  Any brands you'd like to
> acknowledge?

We don't know that all DSL modems do this.

However, in corresponding with Michael Tremer about his results (documented
here
http://planet.ipfire.org/post/ipfire-2-13-tech-preview-fighting-bufferbloat),
it appears that a DSL modem commonly used in Germany does implement
Ethernet flow control (or he could not have gotten the results he reports
there at all; all he did was turn on fq_codel on the x86 geode router he is
using for IPfire).  Whether this is "standard" in DSL modems, I have no
clue (anyone want to plow through DSL standards documents?).

I've been unable to find a supplier in the U.S. for this particular DSL
modem.  Short of bidding on ebay in Europe, I was defeated (despite there
being 10's of millions of them in Germany); this isn't too surprising, as
the modem is supplied by the carrier in this case.

Note that I'm testing a DGN3500 this week with John Crispin (blogic) which
has an integrated Lantiq DSL chip (along with Atheros radios) running
fq_codel that John maintains.  That may be a better option for DSL, as it
can be purchased easily via Amazon.  Wish us luck (though John's early data
looks really nice).
                              - Jim