[Cerowrt-users] Some setup questions

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Fri Oct 26 02:55:58 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 09:29:02PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> 2) I'm going to need usb to serial (pl2303) support. I already read that cerowrt
> doesn't have most packages from openwrt, but since they should be mostly compatible
> can't I just point cerowrt to
> http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09-beta2/ar71xx/generic/packages/Packages
> and use those packages instead, including
> http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09-beta2/ar71xx/generic/packages/kmod-usb-serial-pl2303_3.3.8-1_ar71xx.ipk ?

Actually as a followup, considering that I need to use my WNDR3800 as a rock
solid internet gateway for my house, and it will double as a serial console
server for my server (hence the need for 3rd party modules and packages that
are in the openwrt tree).
I won't be reflashing it often, ideally once every few years at most, and on
top of wanting to benefit the fq_codel work (I already signed up for a
monetary donation to help pay for it), all I see myself using is:
- bind
- dhcp
- minicom
- screen

This is what I currently have on my old WRT-600N with dd-wrt, but dd-wrt is
obsolete, and the router's wireless is poor, hence my upgrading.

Given that, am I better off with openwrt 12.09-beta2 if I want a long term
stable build or the latest cerowrt?

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....