[Cerowrt-users] dnsmasq lease renewal and other issues with Berlin current

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon May 6 11:46:33 EDT 2013

The wiki is editable with a registration and the vast majority of
bufferbloat folk are not native English speakers. Please feel free to
correct whatever you may.

On May 6, 2013 10:42 AM, "Fred Stratton" <fredstratton at imap.cc> wrote:

> I have subscribed to this list because I am irritated by the incorrect
spelling of 'its' as 'it's' on the developer list. So much for the
educational system in North America. You do not understand the possessive.

> dnsmasq is used in other router software, including the shabby builds of
tomatousb. It performs as expected in that context.

> On both the Modena and Berlin builds of Cerowrt,  dnsmasq fails to renew
dhcp leases after an unknown period on a given radio network. If a
different network is used, a new lease can be obtained as evidenced by the
return of internet connectivity. A remedy is to restart dnsmasq from the
command line via ssh.

Hmm. I have not seen this behavior but I do not run wireless much right
now. Anyone else?

> dnsmasq also points to dns servers supplied by the ISP. It is difficult,
or impossible, to substitute other server addresses.

You just override the default for ge00.

> The wiki, apart from using the possessive incorrectly, like the
developers, does not cover the setup of AQM on the Berlin build at all.

Berlin is presently a development build. Documentation lags.

Stable is Modena.
> It does not mention that activation requires modifying /etc/hotplug.d to
specify a device, and that simple_qos.sh, and the QoS panel, both should
not be used.

Discussed on the list. All you have to do with Berlin is set it up via the
AQM tab.

> I have an ADSL line, subject to RFI, with the target SNR set to 12
decibel.

> AQM with efq_codel and simplest.qos reduce uplink delay from 5000ms to
700ms. There are massive delays and breaks in streaming video when
attempting to run traffic streams concurrently.

The core numbers we care about are your uplink and downlink settings.

Which are?

Rule of thumb is to try 85% of your rated bandwidth for those and work up
from there.

Enable the ADSL option.

Also on this list on berlin was discussed that perhaps htb is
malfunctioning at very low rates.

> This is is the exact opposite of the Taeht roadshow demo.

The roadshow is on cable at 20 Mbit down 5 up. There is no magic solution
for ever lower bandwidths than that.

I have been fiddling with much despair with a model for under 4 Mbit.

Lastly efq-codel is emphatically the wrong thing in this case. It is just
where i stick the crazier ideas.

Please stick  to fq-codel or nfq codel.