[Codel] R: Making tests on Tp-link router powered by Openwrt svn

Alessandro Bolletta alessandro at mediaspot.net
Fri Dec 21 05:19:35 EST 2012

Hi jonathan,

This is how i configured the testbed:

I have a windows 8 laptop connected directly on the tplink/openwrt router. Tplink is also connected to a gigabit switch.
So, i thought to make some file uploads from a linux samba file server connected to the switch to my windows 8 laptop, through SMB protocol (which uses TCP).

In order to create the bottleneck, tplink router has two 10/100mbits ports. So, i restricted the port connected to the switch to 10Mbit half duplex.

Also, i tried to decrease interval and target options in order to obtain a latency, for connections estabilished while upload is flowing, lower that 5 ms.
So i set target at 2ms and interval to 5ms.
So this is the schema:

laptop----tplink---switch---linuxserver

where tplink is routing subnets.

If i ping "linux server" i get very high latencies...and if i ping other PCs connected to the switch, i get about 10ms latencies.

I also tried to lower target at 1 ms and interval at 2ms, but i see the same effects.

If i disable fq_codel, i get always the same result.

Can you explain me where i'm going wrong?

Thanks