[Codel] BQL support in Ethernet drivers (and Kathie Nichols and Van Jacobson's new AQM, codel)

Tobias Diedrich ranma+openwrt at tdiedrich.de
Mon May 21 19:09:50 EDT 2012

Rick Jones wrote:
> On 05/21/2012 02:49 PM, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> >Rick Jones wrote:

> >>If you want to generate pretty pictures while doing so, you can
> >>probably tweak
> >>http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/doc/examples/bloat.sh
> >
> >How about this:
> >http://tdiedrich.de/~ranma/bufferbloat-rt3050/
>
> They look pretty I suppose, but it also looks like I've got the
> vrules botched somehow.  Though I cannot find the bug just yet in
> the repository copy.  The red vertical line should be at the start
> of the UDP_STREAM test's results, and there should be a black one
> right after.  They shouldn't be at the ends of the _RR test.  Did
> you tweak that bit when you converted to a UDP_STREAM test?

Ah, yes, I botched the vrules.

> The other thing is it appears the scaling to make rrdtool look like
> it supports dual y-axes could use a bit of tweaking.  I was pretty
> much guessing there :(

Well, I tweaked the scaling myself since I wasn't happy with the
original result either. :)

I reuploaded new images with correct vrules and your scaling.

Anything above 100Mbit can be assumed to be dropped here (although
only the bridge seems to drop, the gige mac gets backpressure from
the switch I think and just delays transmitting the next packet I
suppose).

I can do a TCP_STREAM test, but since the SoC lacks sufficient oomph
to saturate a 100Mbit link the results are going to be boring I
expect. I get about 3MiB/s, regardless of TCP_STREAM or TCP_SENDFILE.
Maybe TCP_SENDFILE would be a bit faster if the driver implemented
checksum offload.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://8ef7ddba.uguu.de