[Codel] Schedule for publication of "Controlling Queue Delay"

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed May 2 13:49:41 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Kathleen Nichols <nichols at pollere.com> wrote:

> Well, whatever. I just want to get an implementation and get it right. In
> this field, we have folks from all over the world and there are a lot of
> things we don't pronounce the same (those aussies need to learn to
> speak some language the rest of us can understand!) For what it's
> worth, my thinking is:
>
> Co is from "controlled", "caw"
> and Del is from "delay", "del"

The CamelCase leads naturally to a pronounciation of Coh Del

coddle rhymes with bridle in most dialects I can think of, esr (not on
this list presently) would know... it's the 'o' that will be
repronounced, regardless,
and spelling it with the 'a' sound doesn't help in maine.

That said, I do like vowels, so codel (non-camelcase) would be good,
and it is a valid word already, so existing usages *might not* cause
problems, but do a google search for it's existing googlejuice, and
decide.

codl is short and relatively unambiguous. not a lot of googlejuice
either. I like it.

> On 5/2/12 10:23 AM, Rick Jones wrote:
>>
>>> P.S. Let's try to be pro-active about pronunciation: I like the way
>>> Kathie said "coddle", rather than Co-Del; it's sort of warm and fuzzy:
>>> the wiktionary definition is "To treat gently or with great care.",
>>> which I also like....
>>
>> Well, there is also the connotation of being overly protected :)
>>
>> If it is spelled CoDel getting it pronounced like coddle will be very
>> difficult.  To get it widely pronounced like coddle it really should be
>> presented as CoDl or somesuch.
>>
>> rick

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608