[Codel] question about "data center" models

Kathleen Nichols nichols at pollere.com
Thu May 3 19:23:26 EDT 2012

So, I thought I'd see what happens with a 1G bottleneck and a 5ms RTT.
I'm still checking
it out, but I thought I'd try to understand the concern.  So, under a
constant heavy load,
codel will accept a 5ms standing queue. I got the impression this was a
concern. I'm
not exactly certain why. How much buffer is normally in the bottleneck?
If it's enough
for a "nominal" RTT of 100 ms, with drop tail it will just fill up and
stay there under
load. So, 100ms of delay. If it's at a RTT of 5ms, then the buffer will
fill up and give 5ms
of delay without any ability to absorb bursts.  What is the normal
configuration?

	Kathie