[Codel] [Bloat] The challenge

Neil Davies neil.davies at pnsol.com
Thu May 10 11:34:53 EDT 2012

Bit unfair to BT...

BT have architected their network so that cells loss doesn't happen.

They pace the cell rate, on a per line basis,  in their BRASs so that
individual DSLAM buffers are not overrun.

The PPP sessions are terminated in BT's BRAS - the ISPs LNS establishes
an L2TP tunnel to the BRAS.

As for the sanity, we've measured other ISPs in the UK. They deliver consistently
more jitter and loss than BT's *wholesale* network.

Neil