[Codel] [Bloat] better tc support for bittorrent/diffserv

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon May 14 14:14:02 EDT 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:

>> 4)  Syntactically tc is missing some ip6 functionality, notably an
>> orthogonal "tos" field to the ipv4 version.
>
> Use ip6tables -j MARK.

ip6tables...
Doesn't work on ingress presently, if you are using ifb (I can be wrong).

Using something to lightly shape the last hop (host) incoming packets, like
htb set to a very large fraction of the card's bandwidth and codel set to
a target of 500us delay on ingress, seems to work.

With egress and ingress rate limiting on I can get delay for large numbers
of flows in both directions in a saturated situation down to < 5ms with
fq_codel in place attached to htb.

Best of all, if you have ecn enabled on that host and the packets are marked
3 on ingress in that scenario, you don't drop anything on that last hop...

> -- Juliusz

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://www.bufferbloat.net