[Codel] [Bloat] The challenge

Kevin Gross kevin.gross at avanw.com
Tue May 8 22:02:21 EDT 2012

The decision the algorithm is trying to make is when to drop packets. RED
drops packets when the maximum queue level rises. CoDel drops packets when
the minimum queue level rises. If the queue is never (nearly) empty, the
interface is oversubscribed and packet drops are in order. But because it
looks at minimum, not maximum, CoDel will not drop packets in bursts so
long as those bursts pass within the (5 ms) interval used to measure
minimum queue level.

1/sqrt bit controls how many packets get dropped as a function of time
and I gather it is control loop tuning used to strike a good balance
between responsiveness, stability and do no harm.

Kevin Gross