[Codel] CoDel and Phantom Queues?

Richard Scheffenegger rscheff at gmx.at
Fri May 18 12:03:28 EDT 2012

Hi,

I assume some of the members of this list, working with AQM schemes are also
familiar with the work at Stanford around DCTCP.

In a recent paper of Balaji Prabakhan (DCTCP/ QCN), Phantom Queues are
mentioned as another means to significantly reduce (real queue) occupancy. I
think the concept (as virtual queues) stems from ATM times.However, phantom
queues are only a logical (accounting) entitiy, and unlike VQs they are set
in series with the real queue, but drained at a rate (1-eps), slightly
slower than the real queue (i.e. at 95-98 of the link capacity - when there
is a defined link capacity).

The idea, if I can repeat it properly, is that any standing queue would form
in the phantom queue first, before that standing queue would actually show
on the real queue.

 I was wondering if phantom queues and CoDel would work synergistically
together.  Or if Phantom Queues should rather be regarded as a workaround
for the (so far) poor AQM schemes proposed.

As you are probably aware, DCTCP achieves more than an order of magnitude
better network delays by adjusting both the end host TCP stack (alike
ECN(alpha,beta) to adjust the CWnd dynamically based on the signaled
congestion / queue depth), and by utilizing a step-function marking scheme
in the network, instead of a probabilistic marking scheme.

According to the latest paper,
http://www.stanford.edu/~balaji/papers/nsdi12-final187.pdf, the utilization
of Phantom Queues in a DCTCP environment cut the network latency once more
by one order of magnitude. Effectively, all buffers run virtually empty
(except for slow-start / initial window) bursts, at only a very minuscle
loss of effective network capacity.

I would like to learn your thoughts around that!
If anyone has a proper ns2 / ns3 environment (mine is currently broken)
where Phantom Queues plus CoDel can be simulated, if any odd interactions
arise...

Best regards,