[Codel] BQL support in Ethernet drivers (and Kathie Nichols and Van Jacobson's new AQM, codel)

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Mon May 21 21:22:45 EDT 2012

On 05/21/2012 04:30 PM, Rick Jones wrote:
> I think my original ones had the unfortunate effect of putting lines on
> top of one another. Your's seem to put them pretty far apart (at least
> sometimes). We aught to be able to find some reasonable medium in there
> somewhere. I'm thinking if latency is the metric of greatest interest,
> we want that to have the full y axis, and then the peak bandwidth of the
> STREAM test be about half-way up?

I've tweaked the bloat.sh script in a couple ways.  First, I changed how
I compute the scaling factor, to implement what I described above.
Second, I am using a negative value for the demo interval for the TCP_RR
test.  This causes netperf to check if it is time to emit a result after
each transaction rather than after what it thought would be the number
of transactions in the interval.  In that way the latency line is much
more robust in the face of a sudden bloating of the path.  The effect on
transactions per second should be similar to that of enabling
histograms.  An example of a test across my 100 Mbit/s link to a laptop
is attached.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones