[Codel] CoDel + 3.3 kernel

Amogh Vasekar amoghvk at stanford.edu
Wed May 23 18:02:24 EDT 2012

Hello Developers,

This is Amogh here, a Masters student at Stanford University. As a first
step towards exploring CoDel, we're trying to reproduce the results on EC2
using OpenFlow + Mininet and then take it from there.

So far, I have CoDel with kernel 3.3 (Thanks for the deb packages! More on
kernel 3.4 later), with the codel specific iproute2 patch installed.

With htb qdisc at root, and CoDel children I have an output as follows :

---------
tc -s qdisc show dev eth0

qdisc htb 1: root refcnt 2 r2q 10 default 12 direct_packets_stat 770
 Sent 112338 bytes 961 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc codel 110: parent 1:11 [Unknown qdisc, optlen=32]
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc codel 120: parent 1:12 [Unknown qdisc, optlen=32]
 Sent 6364 bytes 56 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc codel 130: parent 1:13 [Unknown qdisc, optlen=32]
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

I was wondering why I get an Unknown qdisc, optlen=32 error, even after
using the codel-specific iproute2 from Git. I noticed that the Git package
has fq_codel specific code (I am using base Codel in kernel 3.3), is it not
configured to handle this?

Thanks for your help, excited about CoDel !! Let us know if you have any
suggestions.

Amogh