[Codel] Fwd: [Cerowrt-devel] 3.3.6-2

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed May 23 23:48:04 EDT 2012

Dear All,

since Dave asked me to post out in the open here it goes:

Hi Dave,

hope you have had a great weekend, Maker Fair sounds sweet. And vacation sounds even better, I hope you have/had a great time there.
	I managed to give 3.3.6-2 a small test drive by now on my wndr3700v2. I have some observations I would like to report just to document them. All my tests are using a single 5GHz wireless client (running macosx 10.7.4) going to test sites on the internet over 30/4 MBit cable internet.
A) under moderate wireless stress I get a lot of allocation failures from slub, like:
[ 1221.664062] ath: skbuff alloc of size 1926 failed
In the routers dmesg. And every now and then the router crashes and reboots (I have not yet found a way to make this happen reliably, it seems to require some uptime)
	It seems that the UDP probes used by http://loki10.mpi-sws.mpg.de/bb/bb.php (short "bb") are quite likely to produce those skbuff failures and also occasionally cause the crashes. If I understand correctly this tool explicitly tries to overload the bottleneck link with UDP packages so it can estimate the worst-case buffering. Alas, the tool is rate limited to a few invocations per day, so I can not really test this hypothesis in any meaningful way. Interestingly both bb and netalyzr start reporting about 3 seconds upstream buffering on a fresh booted router which will change to around 38ms upstream buffering over the course of a day. And after that the router is prone to actually reboot during a run of the 20mbit alternative option of the bb test.  Yet concurrent interactive sessions are reactive no matter whether the reported queue is 3000 or 38 ms, so fq_codel is pure magic.
	My layman's hypothesis is that somehow the UDP stream reveals a bug in the atheros wireless driver, that occasionally takes down the router. So this might be a different aspect of bug 379?
	I will try to understand netsurf better and setup a UDP stream to see whether I can force the router to reboot reliably, as it is all I can report is a spurious reboot. Once I have a robust reproducer I will see whether I can make a recent openwork snapshot crash the same way.

	P.S.: I am currently reading up a bit on IPv6 and home security and it seems things are more complicated than I had hoped...

Best
	Sebastian

P.P.S.: I still wrangling netperf sources to hopefully be able to reproduce the issue (and test the UDP hypothesis)

best
	Sebastian