[Codel] [Cerowrt-devel] FQ_Codel lwn draft article review

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Mon Nov 26 18:39:58 EST 2012

I'm not sure why people are focused on iperf as a test of fqcodel.

iperf is a "hot rod" test.   The UDP versions ignores congestion signals entirely, and thus is completely irrelevant to bufferbloat.

The TCP tests are focused on throughput only, in an extreme case.

While it might be a nice footnote in a discussion of bufferbloat mitigation to say that "iperf is not too badly affected", the purpose of iperf as a measurement tool has literally NOTHING to do with bufferbloat management.

In fact, the focus on optimizing iperf by a half a percent or so in laboratory conditions is *literally* how we ended up with bufferbloat in the first place.

You don't design a highly maneuverable jet fighter by designing a rocket that goes from point A to point B the fastest.

The Internet was NEVER supposed to support circuit switchable traffic models.

Someone needs to make a tool that measures the right thing - and using iperf is the opposite of the right thing.