[Codel] [Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] FQ_Codel lwn draft article review

Dan Siemon dan at coverfire.com
Thu Nov 29 20:09:14 EST 2012

On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 17:03 -0500, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Two examples:
> o at a home router, you probably want to be "fair" according to
> transmit opportunities.  We really don't want a single system remote
> from the router to be able to starve the network so that devices near
> the router get much less bandwidth than you might hope/expect.
>

> What is more, you probably want to account for a single host using
> many flows, and regulate that they not be able to "hog" bandwidth in
> the home environment, but only use their "fair" share.

People interested in per-host 'fairness' (with fq_codel per host) may
want to experiment with a tc script I've been working on:

http://git.coverfire.com/?p=linux-qos-scripts.git;a=blob;f=src-3tos.sh;hb=HEAD

There are comments in the script which explain the approach.  I've
collected some results but haven't gotten around to writing them up yet.