[Codel] better testing, linux 3.6.1, cerowrt credits, other stuff

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 23:21:16 EDT 2012

Some notes:

Moving rapidly up on my own list of priorities is developing at least
a spec for better tests. Help?

Openwrt is nearing a stable release on linux 3.3.8, which includes a
backport of fq_codel. 150+ platforms, no waiting.

The current "sugarland" version of cerowrt contains versions of codel
and fq_codel based on the initial linux code and the current ns2 code.

Linux 3.6.1 + 1 patch is looking like a useful release for host based
benchmarking of fq_codel and related technologies on x86, arm, etc.

A 3.6 feature, TCP small queues, is a win - even with pfifo_fast,
particularly with bidirectional utilization.
Wireless-n remains a nightmare.

FQ_Codel testing on CPE and home gateways is expanding. We've
identified two different ADSL devices that can be suitably hacked on,
in particular. I hope we can collect a variety of good comparison data
on a variety of hardware in the coming month. I hope to expand the
bloatlab systems to allow more live testing, over the next two months.

If you (and/or your company) is supporting your efforts to beat the
bloat, please let me know soon so I can update the cerowrt credits
file before its next release, which will (hopefully) be based on the
final openwrt sources.

Current draft here:

http://cero2.bufferbloat.net/cerowrt/credits.html

We're coming up on the 2 year anniversary of jg accidentally leaking
his first bufferbloat blog posts onto the internet, and while we've
come a long way, much work remains.
Still, looking back, I'm pretty happy with where we are today.

Please help beat bufferbloat with cerowrt:
http://www.teklibre.com/cerowrt/subscribe.html