[Codel] How to make a bufferbloat fairqueue with tc qdisc

Dong Mo montedong at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 14:52:16 EST 2013

Dear List,
I am trying to make a bufferbloat fairqueue with qdisc and compare that
with fq_codel.
However, I am now having some hard time doing it.

The commands I am using are:

tc qdisc add dev $IFACE root handle 1: htb default 1
tc class add dev $IFACE parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 40mbit
tc qdisc del dev eth4 parent 1:1 handle 10: sfq perturb 10

And sending packet from the sender, where sfq qdisc is set, to the
receiver, the queuing delay is quite small and is approximately the same as
when fq_codel enabled.

However, if I am not using sfq (only htb set), and send only one flow over
this link, the delay will explode again.

So is sfq here cut off the queue length somehow? How should I make a
bufferbloat fair queue on linux box using tc qdisc?

Thanks

-Mo Dong