[Codel] R: Using fq_codel queuing on backbone routers

Alessandro Bolletta alessandro at mediaspot.net
Thu Jan 3 13:35:27 EST 2013

>>On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 17:49 +0000, Alessandro Bolletta wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>
>> I read in the main wiki page that CoDel doesn’t work as it should on
> heavy loaded environments as, for example, backbone routers, right?
>
>> Well, we’d like to make some test on our core mesh-to-fiber gateway
>> when we’ll get our fiber connection but it isn’t too much clear what
>> did you mean in wiki.
>

>> For example: do you think that fq_codel will be able to manage
>> thousands flows correctly on core router connected to a 1Gbit
>> symmetric fiber link?

>Of course it will be able to manage this workload on current hardware.

>It adds a small overhead compared to a mere fifo. I guess you already use a complex qdisc hierarchy anyway, so you'll >hardly notice a performance impact at all.

I'd like to guarantee "net neutrality" for my customers as much as possible (I'm thinking to priorize only SIP/RTP UDP traffic), so I prefer to preserve qdisc hierarchy much simpler than other ISPs' queues.

CoDel should help to keep my mesh traffic (internal and external) away from bufferbloat in case of traffic congestion on my fiber gateway.