[Codel] hardware multiqueue in fq_codel?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 13:09:42 EDT 2013

In my default environments (wifi, mainly) the hardware queues have
very different properties.

I'm under the impression that in at least a few ethernet devices they
are essentially the same. That said, in the sch_mq case, an entirely
separate qdisc is created per hardware queue, and it's always been
puzzling to me as to how to attempt to use them within a single qdisc
in the pull-through manner.

logically, you should be able to take the fq_codel hash index (idx %
dev->num_tx_queues) and spread out across the hardware queues that
way, but I have no idea where that info would go (the skb? the flow?)
or even if it were possible as per the pull through problem...

(This does not mean that I necessarily think hardware multiqueues are
a good idea... (certainly the results I get out of 802.11e are
terrible - but it would be nice to have a unified solution for hw
multiqueue devices)