[Codel] sawtooth

Kathleen Nichols nichols at pollere.com
Thu Mar 28 12:10:18 EDT 2013

For a single TCP using reno and with an RTT at the nominal 100ms level,
you can expect to see about 75% utilization of the link. If you use cubic,
you do better. If you tolerate more queue, you get more utilization but
more delay. Van talked about how we pick the set points at the IETF,
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/84/slides/slides-84-tsvarea-4.pdf

For more on this, you can see our old Red in a Different Light draft,
page 6,
http://www.cnaf.infn.it/~ferrari/papers/ispn/red_light_9_30.pdf

It's important to figure out what your objective is and measure that.
There is
the link utilization for a single TCP flow, the goodput of a particular
flow,
the delay experienced. Then there is peformance of more than one flow.

	Kathie