[Codel] R: Jumbo frames with fq_codel

Alessandro Bolletta alessandro at mediaspot.net
Mon Nov 25 13:17:12 EST 2013

>On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Alessandro Bolletta <alessandro at mediaspot.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I'm working on an environment which runs on jumbo ethernet frames (about 1550bytes) and I would ask you if do you think that it's needed >a trick in order to correctly debloat interfaces as ath9k and ag71xx which carries such big frames.

>I am under the impression that the ag71xx does not support jumbo frames.
>Slightly larger than usual frames? dunno.

We are thinking to implement jumbo frames support on some devices based on ag71xx :)
Many SoCs support up to 2028 bytes or 4076 bytes of MTU but the driver still can't manage MTUs higher than 1518bytes.

>the ath9k supports frames up to the size of the wireless standards (23xx bytes or so)

Yes.

>fq_codel's internal quantum is the actual ip packet size, not the wire size.
>at lower bandwidths it pays to have a lower quantum (like 300) on outgoing interfaces.

>In openwrt the default on all interfaces is 300, which I dont necessarily agree with.

Ok. I thought that codel would leverage on layer-2 parameters, as the size of the ethernet frame.