[Codel] [Bloat] Describing fq_codel to a layperson

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Sun Feb 9 10:45:13 PST 2014

Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> writes:

> So I'm posting this version to elicit comments and have a plan to post
> it to the bufferbloat wiki somewhere afterwards.

Hi Rich

I like the writeup, however I'm probably not the best person to validate
how it will sound to an outsider...

One things, though...

> Imagine a ski shop with one employee. That employee handles
> everything: small purchases, renting skis, installing new bindings,
> making repairs, etc. He also handles customers in first-come,
> first-served order, and accepts all the jobs, even if there's already
> a big backlog. Imagine, too, that he never stops working with a
> customer until their purchase is complete. He never goes out of order,
> never pauses a job in the middle, not even to sell a Chapstick.

Sometimes I feel like this describes way too many actual ski shops (or
maybe not ski shops, but certainly other establishments)... I.e. I'm not
sure it is really that obvious of an absurdity as one would think; maybe
stating more explicitly what a ski shop 'ought' to do would help?

-Toke