[Codel] what am i doing wrong? why isn't codel working?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Jun 24 09:22:55 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I've upgraded my router to OpenWRT Breaker Barrier r41163 which has
kernel 3.10.36 in it.  I was pleased to see that codel appears (to my
very newbie eyes) to be default on what should be the
"fast->slow" (where bufferbloat happens) interfaces:

qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 root refcnt 2 limit 1024p flows 1024 quantum 300 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms ecn
qdisc mq 0: dev wlan1 root
qdisc mq 0: dev wlan0 root
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev pppoe-wan1 root refcnt 2 limit 1024p flows 1024 quantum 300 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms ecn
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev tun0 root refcnt 2 limit 1024p flows 1024 quantum 300 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms ecn

So first thing to notice is that this router has two WAN interfaces but
only one of them (pppoe-wan1) has had codel applied.  The other WAN
interface (eth0.2) is not even listed.

So off I go to experiment with the WAN interface that does have codel
applied...

So I do the saturate-and-ping test through pppoe-wan1 and ping times go
from ~12ms to ~1200ms, while saturating the upstream so clearly codel is
not working there.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
b.