[Codel] Floating an Idea. ip_fq_codel

Richard Edmands thesirdmz at gmail.com
Tue May 20 05:15:47 EDT 2014

In my environment we've got a fair chunk of torrent usage happening (+
gaming) and with fq_codel giving the advantage to whichever individual
could open up as many connections as possible the entire situation imploded
very quickly.
So to balance this out I used htb to implement the IP part of this
(actually not really, i made groups of ip's which belonged to individuals)
and stuck fq_codel on top of the divided setup.
With this system what now happens is each IP now gets equal utilization of
the link (actually, i'm a lazy hack. I only implemented the uplink section)
which prevents the advantage of opening up as many connections as possible.
Now when an individual decides to go nuts, they're limited to what is
available to them without harming everyone else, without compromising
maximum possible speed.

I have had this running in my environment for the past month and WOW.

See pastebin'd implementation.

http://pastebin.com/hXtzFL9f