[Codel] Floating an Idea. ip_fq_codel

Eric Dumazet eric.dumazet at gmail.com
Tue May 20 11:31:41 EDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-05-20 at 20:16 +1000, Andrew McGregor wrote:
> That's about what constitutes a flow.  fq_codel as implemented in
> linux works per (source ip, dest ip, protocol, source port, dest port)
> 5-tuple.  Linux should probably support multiple flow hashing
> algorithms in the kernel.

Right. fq_codel uses the same trick than other qdisc, like SFQ

By _default_ it uses a 5-tuple hash. Thats convenient but not a
requirement.

You can classify packets using a filter and for example hash only on the
part you need. For example destination IP, or source IP, depending if
you use fq_codel on egress or ingress sides.

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: fq_codel flows 8192
tc filter add dev eth0 protocol ip parent 1: handle 1 \
	flow hash keys dst divisor 8192

Simple as that.