[Codel] About Packet Drop in Codel

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Mon Mar 2 13:10:42 EST 2015

On 03/02/2015 09:43 AM, divya singla wrote:
> please explain me this also:
>
> how codel controls the delay like it drops the packet when it spends
> more time than target and after that it will be retransmitted.
> So in case of retransmission and all, i think delay should be more.
> isn't it?

At the risk of typing beyond my understanding...

CoDel is expected to be deployed in situations where the maximum
possible queuing is rather large at a bottleneck link.  Probably several
multiples of the RTT in time/size.  It is a response to a belief that
throwing more and more memory at queues and holding that every packet is
sacred is a good thing.  Consider what would/could happen with such
queues without CoDel and what that would mean to delay.

> Next , How  does UDP react like tcp adjusts its rate when there is
> packet loss and UDP?

UDP doesn't.  The *application* using UDP is expected too, just as
applications using UDP have been expected to do "the right things" from
the beginning.

rick jones