[Codel] The next slice of cake

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 11:20:05 EDT 2015

> On 18 Mar, 2015, at 17:10, Kathleen Nichols <nichols at pollere.com> wrote:
>
> How are you relating target delay to bandwidth?

Essentially, I use 5ms as a minimum, and increase it if necessary to accommodate a couple of MTU-sized packets at the shaping rate.  This keeps things nicely under control at low bandwidths, and I find that cake remains useful and usable even at 64Kbps (without making even the usual adjustments to host or link configuration for such low speeds).

I can do this in cake because the shaping rate is known, whereas the pure codel and fq_codel qdiscs do not have reliable link-speed information.

- Jonathan Morton